No More Dry Skin: The Power of HABA Squalane
Why does my skin always get so dry?! Despite my best efforts with all sorts of creams and lotions, it’s a constant problem. The winter here is naturally dry, and even in the humid summers the air con tends to reduce the moisture in the air. And of course your skin gets naturally drier with age… Today I’m going to look in detail at an ingredient that claims to solve this problem, and with it – HABA Squalane!
What is squalane?
It is a kind of oil that’s used in beauty products. It’s derived from a chemical called squalene (just one letter different!) which is relatively prone to oxidation. Squalane is more stable, so it’s safer for cosmetics.
Squalene is naturally found in our skin too, but the amount decreases with age.
Types of squalane
Traditionally squalene was extracted from shark livers, but this has a negative environmental impact. Recently it is also sourced from various plants such as olives and sugar cane.
Effects of squalane
- Prevents redness and dryness on the skin. Reduces wrinkles that appear due to lack of moisture.
- As it is naturally-occurring in the skin, it is easily and safely absorbed to deeply replenish moisture.
Characteristics of squalane
- Natural moisturiser, feels good on the skin.
- No chance of irritation or adverse reactions.
- It doesn’t oxidise or solidify easily.
How to use squalane products
- Apply after toner.
- Recommended for those that are troubled by spots or scarring.
- Can be used on the hair, as a scalp massage oil, and for nail care as well as skin care.
Wow, it seems pretty impressive!
In this article I’d like to talk about squalane products available from the HABA brand, which our Wonect readers have been particularly curious about.
I’ve heard that HABA have not made any changes to their squalane apart from the bottle since they started selling them in 1983. They have several varieties available…
1. HABA Squalane
Beauty oil with 99.9% purity. You can use 1 drop instead of lotion or moisturiser!
Shark-liver based squalane. Available in 15ml, 30ml, 60ml, 120ml.
- Makes skin feel soft and smooth
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles and pores
- Protects the skin from dryness due to UV or low humidity
- Pure squalane so does not have any greasy feeling
- Doesn’t break down or oxidise on the skin
|More details on Haba Squalane here|
2. HABA Squalane II
100% plant-based squalane. Has the same benefits as the original HABA Squalane. Available in 15ml, 30ml, 60ml, 120ml.
3. HABA Squalane Whitening (quasi-drug)
Squalane with extra skin-brightening effects thanks to vitamin C. Spreads over the skin and absorbs easily just like the pure squalane oil.
Available in 15ml, 30ml, 60ml.
4. HABA Squalane Q10
Squalane with extra anti-aging effects from enzyme Q10. Available in 30ml, 60ml.
- Contains three anti-aging ingredients: Q10, squalane and vitamin E
- Helps skin to retain smoothness and elasticity
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles
|More details on Haba Squalane Q10 here|
After cleansing and washing your face, apply toner and then a drop or two of squalane oil.
How to use
Here’s a demonstration video (in Japanese)
- While your skin is still moist with toner, put one drop of squalane oil into your palms.
- Spread the squalane over your palms ready to apply to your whole face.
- Place your hands over your face and gently press the squalane into your skin
Since the HABA squalane comes in several types and sizes, it’s easy to try out. Especially if you’re concerned about dry skin and you’re looking for a simple method to try, I think it’s ideal.
HABA Squalane – for skin that doesn’t dry out
Even though HABA has apparently been making their squalane in the same way for 35 years, I had never heard of it until recently (゜o゜) Well, I had heard the word squalane, but I didn’t know that much about where it came from or its effects. What about you guys?
I have used some other squalane products in the past, but I remember they tended to leave my skin sticky and didn’t spread easily, so I stopped using them. Maybe I used them on dry skin… remember to apply the squalane while your skin is still wet from toner as the instructions say!
Until next time, I wish you guys stress-free, dryness-free skin! (^^)!